Tuesday, July 17, 2007

MY GREAT GRANDFATHER THE REVEREND WASHINGTON USHER WILKES



This is a photo of The Reverend Washington Usher Wilkes. He was my paternal great grandfather. He was born 22 March 1822 in Marlboro Co SC. He married Mary Lanier Lamar in 1854. He died 23 Nov 1894 in Cullman AL. His wife Mary was born in AL about 1827 to John Lamar and Martha Dubose Lamar. They were French Hugenaut. Washington Wilkes was the son of Elias Wilkes and Hannah Usher Wilkes. He was a Baptist minister.Their children were James L, Sadie O, Lula, Judson, Mary H, John D, Thomas I. James married Jennie Harris. Sadie married J T Brown. My grandmother Lula married Alonzo Hall. Judson married Essie Powell. Mary married a Mr Crosland and later a Mr Dillard.

1 comment:

DWilkes said...

My gr-gr grandfather was Jesse Usher Wilkes, a brother to Washington Usher Wilkes. I found some other info that you may also be interested in. Contact me at canup8049@yahoo.com